Search Tom's Pi Adventures

Thursday, May 8, 2014

BEERMON

To start this blog, I will begin with my first "real" invention that I have called the "BEERMON". What is BEERMON I hear you ask???

Purpose:

  • Brew beer with electronic information available
  • Notify the user daily via email with brewing stats
  • Display Brewing stats in real time on an LCD display
  • Have a webpage available to be able to view brewing stats from anywhere
Parts Used:
  • LCD display with an I2C interface built in
  • 2 x temperature sensor probes to test the ambient temperature and also the fridge internal temp
  • 1 x Heater to place inside the fridge to help regulate temperature
  • 2 x 5V / 240V relay switches to turn on the fridge/heater depending on fridge termperature
  • Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB
  • Female --> Female Jumper Leads
  • 2 x Hacked up Power Extension leads for relay input and output
  • 1 x ultrasonic sensor to test hydrometer depth
  • 1 x WiFi dongle for wireless network connection
Results so far:
  • Temp Monitoring is working
  • Relays turn on/off as needed for heater / fridge
  • Daily email notifications are working
  • LCD display is working
  • Ultrasonic sensor is working
  • Monitoring web page is working as well as WiFi config from webpage
My Prototype is ready to test a brew. I just need to wait until I have enough cash to purchase a bar fridge, heater, brew kit and parts to make a tube for the hydrometer and to mount the ultrasonic sensor.

MORE UPDATES SOON. I WILL POST PICS SOON TOO.

1 comment:

  1. Put my down for first shipment of O'Brien PI'd Brewski's

    ReplyDelete