Search Tom's Pi Adventures

Thursday, May 8, 2014

LINUX CNC Mill

Tomorrow I start the build. Draw runner in hand and Stepper motors are sitting in my letter box waiting for me to get home. The exciting part starts now, building the frame and figuring out how to set the motors up on the frame to do what I need. I think Bunnings is going to get a visit on Sunday when I need long threaded rod and a long not for it to wind through.

SO EXCITING!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just found some cheap draw runners I can use at IKEA. Cheap too :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got word from EBay that my stepper motors and controllers have been posted. Just to wait now to hear from Hong Kong post on an ETA.

Reflashed my SD Card last night in preperation and got it working on my home network.

Ordered some draw runners from EBay too... I love it when a plan comes together!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My next Raspberry Pi Project is to create a CNC Mill / Cutter.

What I think I will need as a project start:

  • Raspberry Pi - Check!
  • Stepper Motors and Controllers - On order from Hong Kong
  • Mounting brackets for stepper motors - TBA
  • Micro USB Cable to power the Pi - Check!
  • Jumper cables to connect the Stepper Motors - Check!
  • Draw Runners for A, X and Y axis - TBA
  • Timber Requirements for prototype frame - TBA
  • Dremel Tool - Check!
  • Drill Bit for Dremel Tool - TBA
  • Mounting brackets for Dremel Tool - TBA
  • Laser Cutter - Once prototype is complete I will look into this - Safety needs to be considered
  • LinuxCNC Software - Check!
  • Threaded Rod, Bearings, Long nuts, Screws and Mounting Brackets - TBA
This will be a project that will take some serious investment with my time. I am planning for a 12 Month Solultion for a prototype. Also working on the BEERMON project. $$$ are the issue at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment